Thursday, October 13, 2011

10/09/2011 - Covered Bridge Road Trip

Finally, after awhile of saying we were going to do this - we did. Tom and I took off early Sunday morning (8:00 a.m.) and hit the road for Ashtabula County (Ohio). It took us about an hour to get there and we spent the better part of the day following the tour signs and checking out the covered bridges. There were actually 16 bridges on the tour and we managed to get 9 in. There are two different tours, both about 70 miles long. We took the one with the most bridges on the map. We only came across two bridges you could not drive over (below being one of them).











What was really neat was at each bridge you could pull off, get out, walk inside the bridge and in most places you could get down to the rivers that they were over. Also each bridge had its own welcoming group of people selling food and crafts.





For the most part the bridges were out away from the townships or cities that they were in. We traveled lots of dirt and gravel roads.











It was some of the nicest weather - I think the nicest weather we have had including Summer this year. I have more pictures to show but think I was overloading blogger as I couldn't upload anymore. I will be back tomorrow with the rest.


I'm on vacation for the next couple of days so I'm off to do some knitting and relaxing.













No comments: